Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Comic-Con Preview Night

This is the first of a series of daily reports on the San Diego Comic-Con.

If it’s meant to prepare you for the crowds to come later, the “Preview Night” certainly lives up to its name. The Exhibitors floor now feels like any other day at the con. Except for Saturday, of course. Saturdays at Comic-Con bring their own special form of ‘crowdness.’

I did get to run into a few of the people I know through the convention. I spotted Val Hochberg at her table. She self-publishes a book called “Kick Girl.” Here’s a link if you want to check it out. Val is perhaps the most consistently happy person I’ve ever met. I also ran into a couple of guys named Matt & Justin. Matt and I got to know each other the year we both stood in the Industry registration line for the first time. I think we use each other to gauge our forward progress in in the industry. And I also got to see Lanny Liu. She drew the Best Romance story that appears in the same Rising Stars of Manga anthology that William and my story, “Gagaku Berceuse” appears. Part of the fun of Comic-Con is seeing people again you haven’t see for some time.

There are some people I won’t get to see this year, though. TokyoPop doesn’t have a booth at Comic-con this year. That wasn’t a surprise (they’d announced they weren’t coming after their restructuring), but I figured they’d at least have a panel or something, like they had at Anime Expo. A quick skimming of the programming schedule doesn’t show anything involving them. More surprising and disappointing was discovering Radio Comix isn’t here this year. William and I first met Elin and Pat at what was the first Comic-Con for Radio Comix (they shared a space with Antarctic Press). They also published our first comic book story, "Time Venturer." I double, then triple checked, but the space I thought of as “theirs” is occupied by someone else, and I don’t see them listed in the program guide.

Unfortunately I didn’t have any pictures today. I forgot to bring my camera in my rush to get to the convention center. There’s a couple of things I already know I want to shoot. I’ll make a point of posting them once I get them in my camera.

That’s it for now.

Erick.

3 Comments:

Blogger Zorilita - Mary Bellamy said...

I missed seeing you guys this year. Things were crazy!

August 1, 2008 at 3:45 PM  
Blogger Erick Melton said...

Long time to reply. Thanks for the post. I'm trying to keep up with this better (again).

We missed a lot of people last year. Numerous people I'd see ever year either didn't cross my path or simply didn't show up.

We'll be there again this year. No agenda to speak of, so we'll see what happens.

June 18, 2009 at 6:53 AM  
Blogger Erick Melton said...

No problem. Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for your interest. Hope you come back and comment again soon.

April 18, 2010 at 10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home