Friday, July 25, 2008

Comic-Con: Day One

Well, don’t I feel dumb...

For my second installment of my Comic-Con report I had wanted to post some pictures of some of the people and things I’d been seeing. Unfortunately, when I unpacked my camera I discovered I’d left the cable that connects it to the computer back at home. I’ll just have to upload the photos when I get home and edit the posts later.

I think my favorite part of going to Comic-Con are the panels. It’s a change to learn something, be inspired, find out more about someone whose work you’re interested or just have some geeky fun you can’t have any place else. Of course, in a very ying-yang sort of way, panels bring you face to face with the least favorite thing about Comic-Con: standing in long lines. With 100,000 plus people attending the convention, it shouldn’t be surprising that the lines and the waits are getting longer and longer. Even panels that I would have thought of marginal interest to most people have lines stretching down the hall. And if two panels you want to see overlap you can forget the old strategy of starting in one and then ducking out to get to the next one. These days, it’s very likely that both will be full and you’re better served sticking with one of them.

I went to three panels on the first full day of the convention. The first one was Writing Professional, given by J. Michael Straczynski. Straczynski is probably my favorite television/comic book writer, and he always has something for me to take to heart when I listen to him. This panel he talked about “following your fears,” putting what you’re most afraid of in your writing and letting that lead you to your hope.

I was unable to get into the “How to Tell a Story” panel with David Gerrold, Marc Zicree and others. The line ended up having what appeared to be twice the number of people that could fit into the room. I did got a panel on “Science Fiction that will change your life.” It got me thinking about how science fiction changed my life, and gave me some titles to investigate later.

The last panel I went to at the end of the day was “Goal-Setting for Creative Types.” A very fun presentation put on by a man named Douglas Neff. One that was both practical and inspirational as well. If I can find a link for a website I’ll edit it into the post later. Participating in this panel made me want to follow up on all of my goals and see them to fruition.

I also got to meet Rikki Niehaus, an artist that’s a member of my Comic Book Creators’ Meet-up. We’d communicated on line, but had yet to meet face to face. We had a good time hanging out at the convention after she got here (she was six hours late due to an accident on the 5 freeway) and went to the “Goal-Setting” panel together. Rikki is here with her writer to pitch a comic they’ve created called “Monocle & Jimmy Specs.” It’s a cool looking comic that takes a different take on the Hero/Sidekick relationship. I hope they do well with it.

That’s it for now.

Erick.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home