Saturday, July 25, 2009

Comic-Con - Day 2

Everyone wants to be around people that are sacrificing to the same gods that they are.

Friday at Comic-Con emphasized that for me. Sometimes it's people you see once a year at the convention. Friends that I've met ten times in the past decade. Robyn is like that. She helps run the Professional Lounge. I first met her when she was 12 years old, helping her mom. Now she's in her mid-twenties, working for the city as a lifeguard, but still coming to the convention every year to help out. We see each other. She calls me, 'Sweetie.' She gives me a hug. We tell each other what we've been doing for the past year. It's good.

And then you meet people for the first time. Like Robert, a writer I met in the Professional lounge. He got his first professional writing job working on Star Trek: Deep Space 9. Lucky! He got out of writing but is trying to get back in. He gave me his card and told me to look him up on Facebook. "We're in this together, right? Gotta help each other out."

Conventions are what people did before Facebook, to create networks, to find people that share interests, etc. It's like I tell 'normal' people who ask me about what goes on at "things like this." I reconnect with my tribe.

I attended just one panel of note on Friday:

Building Tomorrow's Technology - A panel of science fiction writers, including Greg Bear, discuss how the dwindling availability of natural resources affect the technology one images for the future. The discuss when beyond the original parameters, the way any really good discussion will do. My favorite portions were when each of the writers talked about how they come up with their future tech and put it in their stories. Maybe it's just me, but I think talking about (or listening to people talk about) things like quantum computing, nanotechnology and designed bodies is fun.

Tried to get into the Joss Whedon panel, but it filled up before I could get in. Darn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home